Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jeans to Skirt



There are a bunch of tutorials out there on how to take an old pair of jeans and make a skirt. I had a pair that was a little too short, but fit pretty well otherwise, so I decided to try it. I put it together in just a couple hours. First, I ripped the seams along the inside. Then I cut off the legs to the length that I wanted. I pinned it all in place at top, then took the legs and placed them in the upside down "V" at the bottom that was missing fabric. I sewed it all together with an orangish thread to match the thread on the original seams and sewed down the original seams to make it seem weathered in the right spots. Then I sewed a double seam on the bottom and unraveled the bottom edge. I think the bottom will look better after it's washed, but I am not patient enough and had to wear the thing today! Here it is:

3 comments:

Jnet said...

Did you have a favorite tutorial? I want one and so do the girls...AWESOME!

The Turner's said...

http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/jeanskirt/
This is one of the ones I looked at, but obviously, mine is a little different. It gives you a good idea though.

Try to find a way to get the whole thread to come out by pulling, so you don't have to cut each stitch. I figured it out after the first leg was done, but can't describe it. Just trial & error.

Alison said...

Cute! I love making skirts out of jeans. I like how you unraveled the bottom edge.